Friday, July 15, 2005

Something’s Amiss

Back in high school I sported the very unattractive uni-brow. Why I listened to my Mother and did not try to put some shape into my brow, I still don’t know? She told me the longer I waited to pluck, the less headache I would have down the road. Well maybe Mom, but you weren’t the one getting-made fun of each day in school.

Luckily for me, my elder sister had already broken the no pluck rule and was ready to assist me in my misfortune. While on Christmas break, my sister told me to bring her a pair of tweezers, sit down in front of her and lay my head in her lap. One hour later, she handed me a mirror. I went from uni-brow to a pair of pencil thin perfectly arched eyebrows. An exact duplicate of her look. Don’t get me wrong. Her plucking abilities were gorgeous but I looked like a different person with red and swollen eyebrows. No wonder my eyes were tearing nonstop the entire time. It was a drastic change. It took almost the entire week for the redness and swelling to dissipate.

When I returned to school, of course I drew a lot of attention. Something I have never enjoyed, even now. I’d rather blend into the crowd than make an entrance. Sadly, this was not the case. Almost everyone who encountered me that day asked me the same questions:

1) Did you get contacts over break? ( I do not wear glasses)
2) New hair style? ( In high school I had long straight hair)
3) Something is different, what is it?

I cannot tell you how quickly all the attention wore me down. I would politely say no; hair style is the same and I don’t even wear glasses. I did not want to announce that the change involved my eyebrows. Too embarrassing I guess. Not the new brows, the attention they garnered.

I almost made it through the day without having to divulge my change in appearance. Then it happened, in History class. My new look completely baffled my teacher, Mr. Stewart. He would keep interrupting his lecture with the standard questions and I would tell him no, all is the same. He tried to continue with class but it was bugging him to no end. He asked me one last time. "Wicked, you look very different. What is the change?" I summoned up all my courage, stood up next to my desk and announced, "I plucked my eyebrows. Do you mind?!?!?!"

Well he finally understood that I did not want the attention. Good ole Mr. Stewart, he was dense that way. With that came a barrage of complements and one very backhanded one. Phillip whom I secretly had a crush on for most of my time in school told the class "oh yea, she doesn’t look Russian any more!" ( Gee, thanks Phillip - end of crush)

Mamas, don’t let your daughters grow up with bushy eyebrows. Trust me. You’ll thank me one day.

12 comments:

cube said...

You are right about the uni-brow, but your sister should've plucked a bit more conservatively.

Don't you just hate teachers like that...I guess all schools have at least one.

Chandira said...

I was always told not to shave my legs as they'd grow back worse.. They did! But I think it wasn't the shaving so much as the raging hormones..

I pluck my eyebrows, have since I was about 14. Plucking does make the hair less, they really don't grow back so much, otherwise I'd look like Frieda Kalo.. only without the talent.

Thanks Wicked that made me laugh.. (WITH, not AT you..)

Wicked H said...

Superman: If you need absolution from me to get rid of the guilt, then poof! There you go.

Cube: I agree her style was way too drastic, over the years I have found a pretty darn attractive brow look. Even if I do say so myself ;-)

Chandira: The leg shaving rule was in effect for me too. But I was defiant and broke that rule at age 14 - about the same time I was required to wear skirts for Chorus performances.

Have a great weekend one and all!

HotForSimon said...

I think Superman has some issues...shouldn't he be out fighting the bad guys, instead of smearing poo??

Wicked H said...

Maybe Superman is a new age super hero in that he identifies his villains by smearing them with feces first and eliminates them later.

It could happen. There is always more than one way to handle a problem. Right?

HotForSimon said...

Yeah. But...EW!

If that's the case, he should call himself "Pooperman". I'd like to see THAT emblem, how about you???

((SNORT))

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Girls or young women plucking their eyebrows does not make them more or less beautiful.

What is wrong in looking Russian?
Russia has the most beautiful girls and women in the world.

So, what are you going to pluck now?

Your armpits or xxxx?

Wicked H said...

Well Orikinla, I have caught up with modern times and now use the art of waxing and lasers.

Thanks for the comment. I have no issue with Russian women. I was simply recounting a story.

Amy said...

I have a family member whose mother didn't allow her to shave her legs (or pluck her eyebrows) because she "wanted to keep her a little girl." It was just wrong because this person already stood out as she was very tall for her age and overweight. Her older brother teased her to tears in an effort to get her to shave her legs when she was 15... and she finally defied her mother and shaved.

I just don't understand parents like that.

Weary Hag said...

I think Superman is Phillip in disguise.

As to the brows... I did not have that problem, though mine were so white and fine nobody even knew I had any for the first 15 years of my life! I kinda got made fun of for that too. Glad you found a middle-ground for yourself.

HotForSimon said...

My daughter recently started shaving her legs...within the past year, anyway. It was so funny, because once I told her she could, she was in there every single day obsessing and shaving and worrying and had this lotion and that lotion....I knew it wouldn't last.

We were recently on vacation, and it was soooo hot, and I asked her WHY she didn't put on some shorts or capris or something since it was so miserably hot, and she kept saying she was OK, etc etc.

Come to find out...she just didn't want to bother with shaving her legs...I knew it wouldn't last. LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm choosing to be anonymous for obvious reasons, as I don't want Superman spamming me with bizarre nonsense.. I've seen him leave odd comments elsewhere.

He's socially challenged.. Ignore. He'll go away.