Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Drug Dealers

My endearing term for the pharmaceutical reps who visit our practice. It’s not original but it makes some members of the staff and very few reps chuckle. On the average we receive at least a couple of lunches a week courtesy of the Drug Dealers.

You’d think it was the only meal our staff consumes each week. They are like vultures over prey. The caterer can’t set the food up quick enough from all the swarming. It’s kind of embarrassing. What is amusing is the covert ways in which some of the staff squirrels away the stash. My office is right next to the break/conference room so I am keenly aware of the activities surrounding the luncheons. We have one staff member who volunteers to clean up after the luncheons. At first I thought she was very generous or a clean freak. Turns out she is guaranteeing her evening meal. She does do a great job cleaning up. I figure it’s a just reward.

Drug reps generally don’t like talking to me. I do thank them for the meal they have supplied and for the record I don’t partake of each meal. A girl has to watch her figure and the lunches can be quite rich. Should a Drug Dealer engage me in conversation, I always ask if the consumer would benefit from lower medication costs if we could eliminate the luncheons. I mean I am the first to give up the lunches and the coveted chachkas but I also am the one signing for the caterer’s bill. Feeding 50 plus staff is not cheap.

I would gladly give up the lunches for more reasonable medication costs. I understand that the pharmaceutical reps need this avenue to market the new products, but still. There has to be a better way.

7 comments:

Blueyes said...

We've got those drug dealers around here to lol They come about 3-4 times a week with lunch as well but I luckily don't see them to talk to them, I go to the clinic pick up my lunch and go back to my office :)

Chandira said...

We are a nation of sugar addicts. In my office it's pizza and donuts.
I put on 10lbs when I forst started working here, that first year. I've lost it, but it's hard.. Office 'culture' is a tough one.

We have a person like that who will do anything for food, he's a human trashcan. Eeeshh..

Anonymous said...

All drugs are evil. They should all be outlawed. Except for opium suppositories.

Anonymous said...

I'm kinda bummed about the massive marketing by the drug reps for meds...I'm familiar with it...over half of my family are doctors/nurses and I've even been attending those kind of luncheons and getting the swag for years. But I'd gladly do without (same with the family) the good stuff for lower Rx prices. Luckily I have insanely great medical coverage, although a ton of people don't...and if I didn't, I'd be paying over $1000 a month for the Rx'es I need...and that's getting them from Canada. xo

Weary Hag said...

Hm. Maybe that lady in your office stays to "clean up" because she can't afford dinner with the high cost of her prescription drugs.
*wink*

Anonymous said...

Opium suppositories??

Cool. LOL

Pete B said...

Well, engineers are generally kinda similar; more picky though and tend to moan about some element of the food, before having a second piece... Any mention of left over buffet and they will be there in the blink of an eye, having tried very hard to look nonchalent and as though they were heading that way anyhow. Round here we don't really get many free lunches for all - it's usually only when you are looking to buy a piece of kit that the sales guys take you out for a lunch. Then they make you pay by hassling you three times a week until you tell them to shove it 'cos you bought somebody elses machine!