Tuesday, July 19, 2005

And They All Fall Down…

I take pride in being a self sufficient woman. Meaning I am not afraid of tackling certain home improvement projects. I mean I watch TLC avidly, it looks so easy. I do know my limits, I generally stay away from complicated plumbing issues and anything electrical. Beyond that, I am pretty capable.

Some of the vertical tiles in my master bath tub were getting loose. The tub has a small shelf area for shampoo bottles it runs the length of the tub. I figured I would remove all of the vertical tiles of just the shelf and replace them; with mortar, new tiles then grout. It seemed like a great plan. I removed the 2 loose tiles, no problem. There were 14 tiles that needed to come down. At tile #3, the entire shelf came crashing down into the bath tub rotted drywall and all. Thankfully I was not standing in the tub at the time.

What I am left with are the studs and the insulation behind them. I am pretty sure that wasn’t supposed to happen. I know I’ve never seen it on Trading Spaces. Perhaps that is what gets edited out of the show. Luckily I have another full bath to use in the meantime. What a hassle!

Once I buy the supplies I need, I will call in the professionals. Like I said, I know my limits.

7 comments:

Nickle Annie said...

OMG! That totally sounds like something that would happen to me! Did you take a picture?

Wicked H said...

LOL - I did not but since it is still in major disarray I will post one soon.

Anonymous said...

Sigh, I do the same kind of stuff, even though I am pretty confident in my handy abilities.

tommy said...

You rock "H" , I'm impressed by your autonomy you probably saved some cash too. I was born and raised in DC and today I can imagine what a good contractor would cost:-)

Anonymous said...

sounds familiar. when we moved in to our first house, the previous owner had only put tile maybe half-way up the wall around the bath/shower. We were going to tear it out and put up a surround. bought the stuff and here we go ...

some of the tile was glued on with liquid nails. some of it was caulk that was still 'tacky.' some of it was mortar. all of it was a mess.

and the 'drywall' behind it was just thin trailer-park panelling. so we tore that off. then we found the 'drywall.' it's 1.5' by 1' pieces. with some weird crunchy, hard black tar stuff in the middle of each piece, but doesn't go to the edges.

at this point, we simply tore out all the panelling, tossed up some greenboard over the weird tar junk and then the surround over that.

talk about those home projects taht get totally out of control!!

you have my sympathies - that's never a fun discovery!

Miss Krys said...

Girls like us we fix stuff [or break stuff] ROCK!

Anonymous said...

Wicked....Dad taught us to always have plenty of duct tape on hand. Will that help you??? Tee Hee. Nutcracker Sweet 54