Friday, July 22, 2005

Creatures of Habit

This week at work, we had to change the combination of the 2 doors that require a keypad combination to enter. My office is in the hallway where the doors are located. I cannot tell you the number of times I have snickered, sometimes silently, sometimes outright guffawed this week.

We have had the same combination for about a year and each of us has a different method of remembering the combination. Since I play with numbers all day long, my method is to remember the pattern the combination makes on the keypad. In fact, that is my method for remembering phone numbers as well. If you were to ask me for a phone number I would have to imagine myself dialing the number before I could recite it.

The first day after the change, I just left my office door open so that I could give anyone who either did not know or couldn’t remember the code. The rest of the week, I have been collecting quarters for each time I had to assist anyone with the code. I now have enough money to buy myself a Latte 3 days next week. Who knew work could be this much fun?

2 comments:

Blueyes said...

LOL I wish we had keypads here, instead I have a set of heavy keys to tote around with me and a badge to electronically swipe on some places that require entrance. I remember phone numbers the same way you do too and oddly enough can remember them from like 10 yrs ago :/

Weary Hag said...

Oh it must be great fun to sit there listening to people struggle to recall the combination. Nevermind saving up your own quarters ~ put up a little sign that reads "combination reminder: 25 cents" ... you'll probably end up with an eternal supply of free lattes!