Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Stimulus Overload

I may be one of they few around who has yet to own an Ipod. I am technologically constipated. I admit it. I am really ok with it. Half my problem with the lack of gadgetry is probably funding the other is interest. While driving I prefer to listen to the radio and/or one of the six CDs that rotate through the car’s stereo. None of that satellite radio business for me. I need to hear the local weather and traffic and if not that’s what God made the CD changer for. I exercise in the comfort of my home so music is readily available for that purpose. Maybe if I commuted to work via the subway it would make sense since I don’t like socializing while on public transportation. I might tell you I am blind or something - oh wait - I previously mentioned that, so you should already know. ( And if you are expecting me to link to that exact post, forget it. Technologically challenged)

All this brings me to the cookout we had at OS/B-I-L’s house. This is the home of the almost technologically savvy. Why almost? Well it is not for lack of owning most every new gadget on the market and sometimes more than one of each. Little Mermaid is obviously of the techno-generation. Her Mom, the brain surgeon and my OS, can pick stuff up if shown in the most expedient manner. She is good that way. Just never, EVER, mention Avogadro or his freaking number and you all will get along really well. B-I- L thinks he knows it all when it comes to gadgets, certainly knows more than myself, but I have never known anyone who can break as many computers as he has. Who knows, maybe that is his way of upgrading machinery and justifying the cost. If so, Bravo B-I-L. Of course this is the same man who did a triple gainer with a half twist over the handle bars of a moped/scooter on one of the many islands they have frequented. ( That’s all I am saying)

I arrived early to the cookout to help and came bearing an upbeat mixed CD that I burned myself. You don’t understand. This is an accomplishment for me. Because my B-I-L has an Ipod with however many giga some things it is armed with, he is always looking for more music to add to his collection. So I handed him the CD and told him to see if he would enjoy it, if so he could do whatever it is one does to get the tunes onto the Ipod. As luck would have it, just last week his Ipod crashed his computer so it has been sent to the Ipod doctor. He would download the tunes to his computer. Sounds easy enough, even I can do that. Off to his office he went. I and the brain surgeon are bonding in the kitchen. Little Mermaid is busily flicking her thumbs on yet another piece of technology that I probably could not even turn on.

B-I-L returns to the kitchen to play the CD on the intercom system so the whole house can hear the music. We also have some swim meet on television being broadcasted on the brand spanking new and humming flat screen 450 inch screen. ( Maybe its 45 inches, it’s damn big that’s all I know and for some reason it used to hum until a technician came out to sell them a high end cable. Now the old TV that is in the bedroom hums. I guess they couldn’t afford two high end cables - usually I just listen and don’t ask questions)

We also have the bleating of the pulsating food processor amongst the cacophony. Every 2-3 minutes, B-I-L will return to the kitchen, find a song on the CD and ask me title and artist. You see I broke rule number one of making a mixed CD. I did not make a table of contents for it so that he could easily list the songs onto his computer to be later loaded on the Ipod when it returns from the doctor. Who knew? I decided to utilize the services of Little Mermaid, every time the next song would come on I would tell her title and artist ( these were tunes from the 70's none she knew) and she would relay the info to her Dad who would be furiously tapping the data into his computer. We had a system, and it was working.

The only problem? After he successfully downloaded my CD onto his computer, his computer refused to acknowledge one of 3 different burners on his hard drive.

I think to be technologically ignorant works great for me. Fewer hassles in life.

6 comments:

HotForSimon said...

Hmmm....this is me being quiet now.

Chandira said...

I had an iPod. It didn't work. It blew up my husband's computer..
I want an iPod, but I am afraid.. very afraid...

Apparently they work better on Mac than PC, which is why I now want another Mac... who swallowed the fly, perhaps she'll die.. lol

I do have a commute in a few months, we're moving offices. perhaps by then I'll be brave and get another one..

Anonymous said...

Ah Wicked....we do have some good times....Ipod, Shmypod.....I hate the thing....what's wrong with the car radio, tuned to a normal volume and the oldies station????Nooooooooo, we have to have the lastest hip hop, shimp mop music. I don't even know what they are saying....and then the volume is set at Warp 99999. Then when he has that stupid thing on he talks to me but cannot hear what I am saying....as I said I hate the thing....Nutcracker Sweet 54

Anonymous said...

By the way, I hate freaking Avagadro and his freaking number....geek that he was.Nutcracker Sweet 54

Anonymous said...

Sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous. It only took the computer geek less than 5 minutes to fix the problem, to the tune (not found on the Ipod by the by) of $65.00. Maybe I'll come out of retirement and join the computer geek...I can mess up people's computers and send them his way to fix them. Not a bad thought. I'll ask my wife...she'll be thrilled with the idea BIL

Wicked H said...

Well B-I-L as long as you aren't ruining her computer I am willing to bet she wouldn't care. I would defintely get the agreement in writing between you and the Geek Squad.I think it's an excellent idea.