Tuesday, August 16, 2005

A Little Snark with my Sundae

Back when I was in high school, you know MANY moons ago, the best cure for what ailed me was a sundae. This particular incident jumped to my fore-brain after reading someone’s post about the misbehavior of some children in restaurants.

I was enjoying my sundae with one of my friends, commiserating whichever event that brought us there in the first place. Some type of teenage angst, I don’t remember those details. While we were ingesting the sweetness, the two toddlers sitting in the booth behind me decided to reach over and get acquainted.

I have always loved children and still do. I don’t particularly care for some parents. Certainly not the parental units of these two offspring. The first time they reached over with their sticky hands and pulled my ponytail, it was admittedly cute. However, after five minutes of them playing with my hair with their ice cream-covered hands was quite enough and not even remotely amusing. A couple of times I turned around to look at the parents who were sitting side by side on the opposite side of the booth. I figured they would get the hint. I never heard either of them trying to correct the conduct of their bambinos. Not once!

As the family was leaving, they had to walk by our booth to exit the restaurant. I was expecting an apology of some kind. That is really all I needed, an acknowledgment that their kids had been discourteous. Again, nothing. Being the acerbic teen that I was, I made the following comment.

“ There is a good argument for birth control!”

If looks could kill, I would have been dead. Lucky for me they don’t.

3 comments:

Sparkling said...

It's the kids I feel really sorry for (and you off course, wouldn't want you dead by any means). These kids where obviously looking for attention from an adult, and not getting it from their own parents turned to you.

justdawn said...

I agree that those kids just wanted some adult attention. What kind of irresponsible parents sit side by side leaving their toddlers to fend for themselves?!?

We have four kids...and whenever we go out, That Guy I Married and I each have 2 kids beside us!

HotForSimon said...

I could have dealt with that a little better than some kid continually kicking the back of my seat in the movie theater. That makes me nuts.