Wednesday, August 03, 2005

All That AND a Bag of Chips

I have never been one to ogle material possessions. There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning the best of the best or flaunting your newest acquisition. However, if you are expecting me to oooh and ahh over it, then you are barking up the wrong tree. To me a vehicle is a mode of transportation. Sure a new one is great but it is a vehicle, that’s it. I don’t notice them, it’s not my thing. I am much more in tune with the type of person you are than the amount of money in your bank account or the number of endowments you own.

My YS (younger sister) was apparently quite upset with me because I did not stop to covet her new car. In my defense, I was just pulling out of my parent’s driveway and did not recognize the car that was pulling in and it had tinted windows. For all I knew it was a friend of my father so I continued on my way. No big deal, right? WRONG.

The YS is a piece of work anyway but she is also an adult and really should use those adult powers to resolve issues. If she was so disquieted by my actions, she should have picked up the phone and said so. Instead, she asked my father to call me and reprimand me about ignoring her. I reminded my father that I am 42 years old and she is 34. I respectfully asked him to back out of this entanglement and let her effectuate in the proper manner. Bless his heart, it did not sit well with him so to appease me we ended our conversation.

Imagine my surprise when a few days later she called to ask if she and her husband could visit me. Keep in mind that this is the same woman who could not be bothered to call or visit me while I was having major surgery last year. She asked if I was busy on Sunday and I told her come on over. Her response, great then we can show you the new car. I knew the visit had nothing to do with wanting to see me rather showing off the new chariot.

They arrived an hour and a half later than they said they would, typical of YS. I answered my door and YS was asking me if she and her husband parked in the right spot. He was still with the car. I told her they did a great job and proceeded back into my house. I believe I thwarted the first attempt to check out the new wheels.

We had a nice visit. We live a little over an hour away from each other, this might have been their first visit ever. I am usually expected to make the trek out to see family. There was no mention of the car during our sojourn. Finally after 2 hours of chit chat, I asked how the new car was working out for them. I have never seen 2 people so anxious to show off their wares. They shot up out of their seats and we all headed out to inspect the purchase. It was a car, a new one. I sat in the passenger seat for 10 seconds, told them it was real nice and to use it in good health. Then we went back into my house.

Ten minutes later, our visit was done. Their mission was accomplished, I saw and approved of the new car. WHATEVER!!!!!

16 comments:

Blueyes said...

Siblings are annoying like that, I most likely wouldn't have been bothered to ask about it. When I get a new car, its just another day and then when I go visit my mother she's like when did you get that is it nice? It's a car man, geez....

Sparkling said...

I love my car, but I wouldn't expect anyone to fall over backwards for it.

Matt said...

As I get older, I find more and more that stuff I buy ends up detracting from my enjoyment of life, rather than adding to it.

Expensive items always cost in terms of the time that it takes to care for them. Not always worth the hassle.

Tracy S said...

lmao some people are like that ..I know people that check their vehicles for scratches everytime they come out of being parked somewhere ...I would not want yet another headache to deal with . I say who cares ..If it is running it is ok by me ..lol

I found your site on BOTB :)

~M~ said...

thanks for voting for me on Botb. My mom is like your sister. I don't know how I ended up not like that.

HotForSimon said...

I don't check my car for scratches every time I get out, but from now on I WILL be checking for a back bumper...someone hit me Friday and decided my car looked better WITHOUT one. ((SIGH))

I could see them getting excited over a new car...if it was something worth getting excited over. Not a station wagon. Geez.


((LOL))

Wicked H said...

It is a new car. But still, she took it way too far. Did it teach her any lessons? Absolutely not.

Oh well, like I said...WHATEVER!!!

Weary Hag said...

It seems your YS is my OS (older sister!). Seriously. Each time you write about this individual, it sounds like something right out of my past only putting my OS in her place. Holy cow.

When my OS got her new minivan (woo hoo...?) we all had to meet at mom's house for a special dinner in celebration of the big "surprise." Sadly, I'm not kidding. She made sure to arrive late so we were all there already. When she pulled into the driveway, we all had to jump up and rush out to greet her new minivan.
I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. *ugh*

(what is BOTB? and how could I vote for you?)

tommy said...

Hey H how life in my home town:-) I loved that story. Automobiles are our modern golden calf (pagan symbol) we worship them. I own 2; an SUV and a sports car(mainly because I have nothing else in my life....LOL.)I don't tell people when i make a new vehicle purchase, I bought this 2205 mustang 2 months ago and haven't told my family yet. I just like driving cool cars, the whole showing off thing fizzels out after highschool.


Hey, but real life is just like highschool....only the hallways are much longer

Chandira said...

WH and WH,

Seems you're both the object of needed approval with your sisters.. Buzz off it, enjoy the power you wield.. lol

What would such sisters do without you both to approve their new stuff?? :-)

Wicked H said...

Chandira: I told WH ( Weary Hag) that maybe she and I were separated at birth or our Dad sumitted samples to more than one sperm bank. It is a small world after all.

Tommy/Doc: You make an excellent point. My YS is obviously stuck in those LONG hallways. BTW, have you mastered the sports car yet? You'll have to get back to me.

Chandira said...

Wicked H, it is indeed a small world.. that's for sure..

Wicked H said...

Jason: It is certainly a possibility, thanks for your perspective.

HotForSimon said...

Tommy....

single??? ((LOL))

Did you get the GT? What color?

I figure I can get one once my Focus is paid off...by then the (not so) little one will be 16 and can inherit the Focus and mommy can have her mid life crisis and get the car she's always wanted. hahaha!!!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Wicked: I just drive whatever's in the garage....you know our ys, she'll never grow up...I say forget 'bout it :)...Nutcracker Sweet 54

Anonymous said...

Wicked: (this from a former owner of a Porsche 944, oh how I loved that car....) So much for chariots of fire.:(Simonize...)