Friday, August 26, 2005

Mary Quite Contrary

A bunch of us went out to lunch today. It’s a rarity and we always have an enjoyable time.

Today was no different. I work with a terrific bunch of people, each memorable in their own way. I would not trade them in for all the tea in China. A couple of us are picky when it comes to food. I am usually a go with the majority kind of gal. It’s food, nourishment for the body - no big deal. We actually broke a record deciding where we’d go and when we’d leave. Within 10 minutes, we assembled the group and off to Amphora we went.

It was amazing. Collectively we agreed to celebrate this occasion next year. Usually it takes over an hour to weed out all of the possibilities regarding food procurement.

There were seven of us today. We had the most energetic 80+ year-old server, Mary. She was a spitfire. We could not move fast enough for her, in fact I think we held her back. Bless her heart. She tried to be patient when one of us couldn’t decide what to order. I think Mary may have brow beaten my co-worker into placing the order. I am very sure Mary is the one who decided what my co-worker was going to ingest.

Mary was quite efficient when it came to refilling our drinks. I am telling you she was a blur of activity. Perhaps she was snorting some high test Geritol back in the kitchen. I am not here to judge, merely an observer. Mary was quite efficient when it came to refilling our drinks. Before I had even taken two sips from my diet coke, I had another one waiting for me. Mary’s annoying habit? Aw come on, you knew I was going to mention it. Mary did not like to keep a half-filled glass on the table. She would bring you a fresh drink and want you to transfer the straw into the new glass. If this wasn’t accomplished fast enough, Mary would take care of it for you.

A little quirky our Mary but her system got us in, fed and out of there during the lunch rush in less than 60 minutes. Believe me folks. That, in and of itself is a major feat in these parts. Truthfully, if Mary hadn’t spoken up “Kitty” would still be deciding what to order.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Mary quite contrary, what does your garden grow? Cacoa shells and amphetamine bells, and synthroid to show.....????Tee Hee, bless her heart.....Nutcracker Sweet 54

Wicked H said...

NS54: Who knew you were such a poet? :-)

Chandira said...

She needs to come help me out with our office!! We could use somebody like her around here.. lol
I'm sick of pizza. Seems that's the only thing we can ALL agree on. :P

Chandira said...

Huh! Looks like we both started blogging about the same time last year... :-)

kris said...

I would have LOVED the prompt diet coke refills, but after the third or so straw thing, I would definitely have gone crazy.

Chandira's pizza sounds really good right now . . . I wonder if anyone delivers at 7 am?