Friday, March 10, 2006

Swag

I have no problem supporting any elementary, junior or high school fund-raising campaigns. I do have a problem with the parent displaying the order sheet in the lunch room using strong arm tactics to get the items sold. How does this teach the child to raise money for the cause? It’s a serious question. If you want my money, then the kid is going to have to do the fund raising. I think it’s only fair.

What kind of message are we sending to the children of today if they don’t even have to exert any type of energy to raise funds? If you are one of these parents, I don’t want to hear you complaining that junior is an irresponsible kid and can’t even be bothered to clean up his or her room. I also don’t want to hear that the offspring has been kicked out of school due to having someone else write their term papers. Look at the example you are setting.

Now if you will excuse me, I have some Girl Scout cookies to devour. Purchased from the cutest GS you’ve ever seen who knocked on my door by herself and sold her product. Her mother present at the bottom of the steps playing the role of chaperone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely. Well said. Bring the rugrats to me and I'll buy, buy, buy.

wallofdenial said...

well Wicked I must agree with you. My 7 year old on the other hand might have some choice words for you. But thats all rite, Shes 7!!!

Wicked H said...

Phillip: Hard to say no to the kids, very easy to say no to the parents.

Dave: Your daughter is too young for sales yet, right? When it's time, just make sure she is the one selling.

HotForSimon said...

HFS Jr has brought home fund raisers, with a letter attached, telling them NOT to go selling door to door and RECOMMENDING that the parents help by taking the items to work.

((SIGH))

Been there, done that, bought the tshirt...