Friday, August 10, 2007

Unexpected Thank You

One of the many times I have been in the Dulles International Airport’s Customs waiting area this summer, I encountered something that I meant to share. I was waiting for a family member to come through the doors when I was privileged to witness something really incredible.

We, the other mass of folks and I, were anxiously watching as the doors that lead from Customs as they whooshed open. The returning travelers usually come out in small groups. It had been a few minutes and no one came though Customs. All of a sudden one passenger emerged from the doors and the entire waiting room took in a breath.

A lone soldier emerged from the doors not expecting anyone to greet him. He was in his fatigues and obviously just arrived from his duty. The crowd waiting did not miss a beat. Those of us sitting, stood. The rest of us stood still and began to clap in silence for a moment. The soldier was confused. He turned to look behind him to see who was deserving of the standing ovation. It was not until strangers approached him and thanked him that he realized we were welcoming him home.

I still get goose bumps thinking of this and I cannot describe a better reason to be proud.

15 comments:

wallofdenial said...

Thank you for welcoming him home Wicked! I am glad that the American public has not forgotten our troops. May God bless them!

Margaret said...

It's so good that the support for the troops seems to remain high--even when opinions about the war and the president are low.

MommaBoo said...

I just got teary.

What a wonderful post.

Thank you, Wicked. This made my day.

I'm with Wall of Denial...God bless them!

Anonymous said...

Well I just joined you in having those goosebumps. I wish every single soldier out there had this kind of welcome! I'm with jennieboo, this made my entire day :o)

rp said...

Oh, my gosh. That's beautiful.

Wicked H said...

Dave: So good to see you. Yes, May God Bless them all and bring them all home safe and sound.

Sophie: It was something I will never forget.

J-Boo: Thank you.

Joy T: Thank you also.

RP: I've missed you. Glad to see you come by.

The CEO said...

You see how much good you can do when you put your mind to it, Sis. I am so proud of you. As proud as I am of the troops.

Anonymous said...

This brings tears to my eyes. What a wonderful thing for you all to do for that soldier. I'm sure many more will experience something like that.

Unknown said...

You brought tears to my eyes. (But I AM PMSing!) There's a commercial like this--it makes me cry, too. Glad you oould be a part of his welcoming home.

Anonymous said...

there's a puddle of water in my morning coffee and i just got cold all over...........

Anonymous said...

An amazing post.
My eyes are teary just imagining it.
Sending a round of applause your way,
Frances

Anonymous said...

An amazing post.
My eyes are teary just imagining it.
Sending a round of applause your way,
Frances

qualcosa di bello said...

talk about goose bumps!!!! WOW! thanks for sharing that awesome moment!

MommaBoo said...

I have made something for you.

Please go here to get it:

http://boosbuttons.blogspot.com/2007/08/friendship-bracelets.html

ENJOY!

C.A. said...

What a great story. I got goosebumps just reading it, myself. Thank you for helping to welcome that soldier back to his homeland.