Monday, October 03, 2005

How Not to Make Friends and Influence People

The other night I had to pick up my parents from Reagan National Airport. My Father didn’t want to inconvenience me, so he told me to just drive up to the arrivals sidewalk and they would hop into to the car.

There were several flaws with his suggestion. First of all they are 80 years old, there is no hopping into anything. Secondly, they were returning from overseas. The possibility of their flight arriving on time AND my Father predicting what time they’d be on the sidewalk was impossible. Thirdly, we are in the post 911 era. You can not casually keep circling the arrivals area without causing a ruckus.

I tried to be the dutiful daughter. After my third pass of the arrivals area, 2 of the officers actually blocked my passage and sternly suggested I utilize the parking garage and go in and wait for my parental units. I told them I completely agreed with their advice and off I went to park my car.

Take it from me friends, just don’t listen to your folks. Park the car and wait for them inside. It will save you much hassle.

3 comments:

kris said...

I can't believe the police stopped you. Good to know they are conscientious.

You were pretty skillful, however, to make it three times around without screwing up and ending up on Route 1 or the Parkway again. Kris = not usually so lucky.

Wicked H said...

Kris: It was pretty late, 11 pm on Thursday night so it wasn't too busy. The police were just not happy watching me circle and I cannot blame them. I was pretty impressed that I didn't veer off course as well.

Anonymous said...

Our parents....:) you gotta love 'em.