Friday, October 21, 2005

Hilarity Ensues

Family gatherings bring out the questionable best, especially with my tribe. October is a very busy celebratory month for us. We have four birthdays and my parent’s wedding anniversary to commemorate. Due to various and sundry schedule snafus we have decided to gather together this Saturday night and rejoice.

It took an entire month to decide on which date we would amass. In my defense, I have the clearest schedule and I defer to those with busy social calendars. Also, I made sure that my sister, the brain surgeon, and I who have a birthday a week and eight years apart did celebrate at the correct time.

Another few weeks passed before a destination could be decided. Finally I asked the younger sister to make a reservation and then send out an e-mail to all parties because we can’t seem to pass along information without details either getting skewed or left out entirely.

Let the grumbling begin:

B-I-L: Who let YS decide where we were going to eat?

Wicked H: She didn’t, BS and I decided.

B-I-L: Well I don’t like that restaurant.

Wicked H: Have you ever been?

B-I-L: No.

Wicked H: Then how do you know you don’t like it?

My Mom: Oh…I have aches and pains. Woe is me.

Wicked H: Does that mean you don’t want to go out to dinner then?

Mom: No, just reminding everyone of my aches and pains.

Dad: Did we find a place where the entrees start at $6.00?

Wicked H: You have fun at McDonald’s Dad, we are going to the restaurant.

Brain Surgeon: Ugh! I am tried of all the whining and bitching. I’ll be at the restaurant, whoever wants to come can and the others can do what they want.

So, hope you all have half as much fun as we might. I am open to any other offer from anyone of you. Someone, please, make me an offer!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure everyone who reads this will find something they can relate to! It's much easier if you have fewer people to please, as in the case of my family, but the qualitative nature of the kvetching sounds very familiar.

I think you and the Brain Surgeon should come to New York for a wild weekend and leave all the others to be grouchy at the Black-eyed Pea (or whichever restaurant it was.....)

Wicked H said...

That is a fantastic idea Gareth. A trip to NYC is on the "To Do" list, we just need to synchronize our schedules.

HotForSimon said...

Myrtle Beach is always nice this time of year...rates are lower, no lines at the restaurants...good company.

Come on down.

Anonymous said...

Well, I was really suggesting this weekend - you know your schedules are co-ordinated tomorrow... ;)

Wicked H said...

Long week, otherwise I would have figured out you meant this weekend. My bad.

It's still early, I may just run off.....

Wicked H said...

I'd also consider MB, however, Wilma would hamper my enjoyment.

Anonymous said...

Hey I like Gareth's idea....MB too, but after Wilma visits....Well, It wasn't too bad tonight, no knives were thrown, no drinks in our faces....we were actually very civil. Shock of all shocks, our youngest sister even helped with the dishes after our celebratory cheesecake. I'm still trying to figure that one out...Oy Vey, families, can't live with 'em and wouldn't be here without 'em.