Friday, January 27, 2006

A Word to the Scribe

The best advice for Bloggers is to not write anything that you wouldn’t say directly to the individual to whom you are referring. Those who know me personally and with whom I have an active relationship already know that anything written here has previously been expressed to them directly.

How then does this translate to lurkers who may or may not infer that the topic somehow relates to them? Do they have the right to be offended? Do I have the right to vent my opinions on a venue of my choice; this site?

One might ask: if I would not directly tell the offended parties how I feel/felt about something then why write it in the first place? My answer to that would be simple; if anyone is offended by anything I express on this site (one set up for me initially and then for whoever may stumble across it whether accidentally or through extended research) then they should stop reading. This is not rocket science. I never claimed it to be. This exercise is primarily for my amusement or mental health, whichever is in disrepair at the time of the post.

The traffic is fantastic, gravy if you will. It warms the cockles of my heart to see that I have regular readers, some more obsessive than others. None of you are pulling the wool over my eyes, I know who reads and when and how often.

I have had this discussion with other Bloggers. Enquiring minds want to know. If you have an opinion, by all means, let me know.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Actually, I completely agree with you. If someone runs across your blog and is offended... then it works just like with television, you simply change the channel.

I have read blogs that express opinions I don't necessarily agree with, if I like the blog for the most part, I continue reading and ignore it. After all, I have friends that have very different thoughts and views and don't necessarily share mine - that doesn't mean I don't have relationships with them.

That being said, some of these politically centered blogs that are way right-wing, I find them rude and I don't agree with them... that doesn't mean they don't have a right to express their opinions, but I certainly don't have to read them - and I just don't.

HotForSimon said...

I can certainly relate...I just "love" it when people try to dictate what you can and cannot do or say or post on your own website. The last time I checked, I was the one paying for the domain, know what I mean? I get it all the time, if I don't update it daily, I get emails reminding me that I "forgot"...it's like, do you not have a life AT ALL?? Sometimes real life gets in the way and I don't have time to update, I certainly don't need them to remind me, and then complain to me because they don't like what I put there. GEEZ!!!

I agree with you too. If someone is offended by something written here, they have a "back" arrow to click on just like everyone else. There are lots of blogs I read, and if the subject matter for that days post doesn't interest me, I just move on. It's not rocket science. LOL

Anonymous said...

I just had to comment here!
You can only imagine the number of readers visiting my Blog who disagree with my choosen subject matter.
Some get openly hostile, amazing place this internet, a definite smorgasbord of contrasting personalities. Take it or leave it I say.

Mr Bellinger said...

I like your thoughts. My mom was offended by a vague post I left, vague primarily because it was a universal rant against thieves who steal the tools of a person's livelihood. She said I should take it off because it offends everyone in general.

Good. If that's the reaction that everybody gets, think of the reaction from the person who actually did the stealing. Although it's most likely that someone who makes their money by stealing won't be sitting down to blog anytime soon.

While I do have a blogger blog, I have a newly minted site: randompress.net

Haddock said...

It's like life. Some people will always get offended. You can't live your life trying to not offend anyone.

Margaret said...

I have been very aware of not posting anything about the few people who know me in real life that they didn't hear from me first. Other than that, if I write something that offends a reader--so be it. I would welcome discussion that doesn't get hostile. The bottom line is, I don't think I'm nearly controversial enough to rile anyone up too much. ;-)

kris said...

This is the whole reason Blogger created the next blog button, isn't it? ;)

Wicked H said...

Amy: Very good point

Teri: Testify, Sister!

HFS: Freedon of choice, it's a great thing.

Satin Jenni: Stop the hatred. I couldn't agree more.

Bubby: Your Mom is entitled to her opinions, glad you stayed with your convictions.

Haddock: No arguments from me, thanks for stopping by.

Sophie: You're right, intelligent debate always welcome. Hostility definitely not.

Kris: Yes, indeedy.

Anonymous said...

I like to blog surf... its one of my most favorite past times. I have yet to come across anything that is truly offensive. :) One of the things I like best about reading other peoples blogs is to see their snapshot in time. Before I became the full time wonder mom I am - I was a social worker. I only saw people at their absolute worst all the time. Seeing people in a snapshot is 'real' - and it is what makes reading enjoyable for me. I don't want to read something that is incredibly rehearsed and self edited into nothing.

Keep up the good work! Do what your gut tells ya! Generally your gut never steers you wrong.