Saturday, September 03, 2005

Every Little Bit Helps

It is unbelievable. I am having a difficult time trying to imagine what the survivors of Hurricane Katrina are facing. It is unfathomable. My thoughts, prayers and any other type of help I can come up with continues.

I am sure by now most of us had made some type of donation to the various agencies seeking assistance for the fine folks of the Southeast. Last night I was speaking with my sister who told me that my 10-year-old niece decided that the old toys that she had set aside to donate to the children of Appalachia would be better served if contributed to Hurricane Katrina’s relief effort. She asked my sister if she could sell them on Ebay and then donate the money to the cause. It may seem like a paltry amount of money but the love behind is immeasurable. I am very proud of my niece for contributing to the cause.

We can all so something.

7 comments:

Mike Da Hat said...

Isn't there a saying somewhere that goes "A little given with love...."

Anonymous said...

As I sit here writing to you (the walkie-talkie crackeling at my side, so I know where Little Mermaid is at all times) Little Mermaid is out selling her books that she has already read. She got up early this morning, hand-made book marks,gathered her books and decorated a plastic container labled "Katarina Relief Fund".She told me that by the time the whole E-Bay thing took place more people would die, therefore in her words, " I've got to do this now" and she set off for our neighborhood. At last count when she came by for a juice break she had over $80. I told her I would match whatever was collected. I pray for those people and I thank God for everything I have including my Little Mermaid.....Nutcracker Sweet 54

Wicked H said...

That's MY niece.

She never ceases to amaze me. Okay, I need to go wash my face now because all this made me cry...

Anonymous said...

Awwww I'm blushing. :)

HotForSimon said...

I am not only proud of you, Little Mermaid, I'm proud to KNOW you.

Every little bit helps, and to know it comes from the heart...I'm all verklempt....((SIGH))

HUGS to all of you....

web_loafer said...

All of those nice little children that we love to see....the ones that make us run to hide our tears, because they are so caring in a world gone nuts.
They all learned how to be nice from someone who is older.
What a joy it is to read about the unseen, unheralded beauty of America.
Give your neice a big hug.
But then, I know you have

Weary Hag said...

What a touching story. Web loafer makes a wonderful point. The little ones are but shiny reflections of their older counterparts.

Good job mommy, auntie, daddy and all who have had an influence on this little one's life.

The little one is already blessed.