Monday, June 20, 2005

Over Reaction

My Father is a very controlled person. He is not very demonstrative when it comes to anger. He takes the high road and throws a curve known as the guilt trip. Actually he did that mainly for when I misbehaved as a kid, through my teen years and all through college. Every now and then I still might receive the beginning of the “what did we do to deserve this” speech. It’s rare but I am the middle child, placed on the planet to push buttons.

This tale is not an account of my misconduct; rather it is an uncharacteristic portrayal of my Father’s actions. We treasured dinnertime as a family. It was when everyone caught up on each other’s activities. This particular evening it was rather silent as I, a teen in high school at that time, made it through the day without incident. Mom, who is a fabulous cook, made some type of a stew. So we were all enjoying our dinner and casual conversation.

It was during a moment when all that could be heard was the quiet, yet polite, slurping of the stew. We usually ate in the nook off the kitchen, which was carpeted. (That detail of our house never made sense to me but it is important to my story) My Father took his spoon that was at the level of his mouth and dropped it to the table. He then took the bowl of stew, raised it up, turned it over and left it upside down on the table. Stew went everywhere. He pushed his chair away from the table and deliberately left the room.

My Mom did not interrupt her eating pace at all. My younger sister and I were clamoring to get the mess cleaned up as quickly as possible. Once we were able to stop the stew from running further off the table and as soon as my Father was out of earshot, my Mom informed us that he must have found a hair in the stew.

Apparently she has experienced this before. I was in total shock. As I said, I have never seen him react like that ever or since.

4 comments:

HotForSimon said...

Sweeeet...I think I'll use that method next time that happens to me in a restaurant!!!

I wonder how dad would have reacted if he found a roach leg in his french toast like I did one time at a place at the beach...talk about EWWW!!!!!

Weary Hag said...

I know ... it has taken me forever to get over here and visit. Please forgive me ~ life's been crazy lately. (and thank you tons for the lovely comment you left on my post recently)
This story is precious! My father was much like yours in that he wasn't into the whole "display" thing. It's funny when people are like that, then they actually break their own personal rule, we remember it well and for many years to come. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Err, OK - all Dads can be a bit nutty. But when are we going to hear about this year's Father's Day???

Wicked H said...

Well Anon, this year I was "orphaned" for both Mother's and Father's Day. MY parents are visiting family overseas. So I have no story to cover this year.