Friday, June 17, 2005

Father’s Day 2004 – CANCELLED!!!

Ah family drama, aint it grand? Let me explain.

Last year on Father’s Day eve, my then 8 year old niece – Little Mermaid, had a minor accident while playing basketball and broke 2 fingers on her dominant hand. A few things to keep in mind while reading: Little Mermaid is the only grandchild/niece on my side of the family, her Mom and my Dad are in the medical profession and our family rarely makes plans to eat out together as a group; some of us are too picky, etc.

The news of Little Mermaid’s accident came just as my Mom, older sister and I were being seated at Wolftrap to watch Riverdance. My sister’s cell phone rang and I could clearly hear Little Mermaid wailing in the background, my sister turned very pale while attempting to understand what my panicked B-I-L (Brother-in-law) was trying to relay. He had Mermaid in the car and was so anxious that he could not find the urgent care center that he passes every day 10 times a day. My sister stayed on the phone with him till he found the place and tried to calm both her daughter and husband down. We are at least an hour and a half away. We could have left, but as a trio we decided we would wait to find out the results of x-rays at intermission. B-I-L was sure Mermaid had broken her wrist, Mermaid howled louder and louder each time he mentioned the possibility of the wrist. My Mom had to pop a nitroglycerin pill due to her anxiety.

I doubt anyone of us were able to enjoy the performance. At intermission my sister called to find out the results. Turns out Mermaid only broke 2 fingers, she had some sort of splint on and was to see an Orthopedic surgeon Monday. We were relieved that the news was not as bad as each of us were imagining and watched the remainder of the show. I dropped my Mom and sister at the Metro and told them I’d see them for our Father’s Day Celebration the next day.

Here is my phone conversation with my Dad on the morning of Father’s Day 2004:

Wicked H
: Hi Dad, Happy Father’s Day!!

Dad: Did you hear about Little Mermaid?

Wicked H: I did, she broke 2 fingers. She’s going to be fine. What time are the reservations?

Dad: Father’s Day is cancelled!

Wicked H: For the whole nation? Wow, I should turn on the news. Why?

Dad: DID YOU NOT HEAR WHAT HAPPENED TO LITTLE MERMAID?!?!?!?!?!?

Wicked H: I did, Dad. She is going to be fine. Just a splint for her fingers.

Dad: (actively upset and trying to hide the fact that he is crying) We are not having it this year. Goodbye!

So, needless to say I did not make the hour and a half trek to visit with my Dad last year because Father’s Day was officially cancelled. Hopefully this year will be much better.

Happy Father’s Day to you Dad and all the Father’s out there!

5 comments:

Trudging said...

Yep families don't you love them!

HotForSimon said...

Now admit it...he was just upset cause you made him make the reservations himself.

Oops..no, that was your and your own birthday reservations...sorry!

((SNORT))

Happy Dad's day to all the dads out there.

Wicked H said...

Sorry Internets. HFS just stole a post from me. Guess I won't have to write about THAT now, will I?

HotForSimon said...

Oops.

((hangs head in shame))

Weary Hag said...

Aah yes. The family trials... I remember them well. There was one sister (out of us four) who inevitably call most of the shots. Something could happen to one of our children and things would proceed as usual, but let something happen to one of HER kids and the entire event (holiday or whatever) would be cancelled.
Ya gotta love it.