Sunday, January 25, 2009

Potato, Potah-to....Dallas, Dulles

Helpful hints from Wicked H:

If you have any family members planing to visit you from overseas, make sure that whoever is purchasing their plane tickets understands the intricacies between Dallas International Airport and Dulles International Airport. Trust me, we learned the hard way.

Despite being separated by oceans and living on separate continents, my family is very close. We take a visit from any member very seriously and with great joy. We were all ready to send out the welcoming committee to Dulles on Friday afternoon, my favorite Uncle was flying in for a month long visit. A week before, my elderly parents were in constant contact with him and the family overseas and reported the flight numbers to me as I was in charge of picking him up from Dulles.

It is a very long, drawn out story. The Reader’s Digest version is this; his final destination was Dallas International not Dulles International. The only silver lining in this story is that he realized the error while still in his home country rather than either Frankfurt Germany where he was to change planes towards the U.S. or even worse he was waiting in Dallas and we were waiting in Dulles. Due to the lack of his English language skills, his ailing health and elderly age, he chose to cancel the trip altogether.

I can’t say that I blame him, it doesn’t make us any less disappointed. My further helpful hint is to be very anal about reservations for such a trip. Triple check your airports before buying the ticket.

(The music by George Gershwin, the lyrics by Ira Gershwin)
You say eether and I say eyether,
You say neether and I say nyther;
Eether, eyether, neether, nyther,
Let's call the whole thing off!
You like potato and I like potahto,
You like tomato and I like tomahto;
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto!
Let's call the whole thing off!

5 comments:

The CEO said...

I have to admit, that's one I hadn't considered before, Dallas v. Dulles. Let's go have martinis!

Anonymous said...

So sorry he won't be coming! I know how disappointed you all must be!

Wicked H said...

CEO: If it can go wrong, my family will find it. I will need several to forget this one, see you in March!

Pinar: As you can imagine we are all sad and my Mom devastated. Drama squared!!!

Anonymous said...

Remember the episode of Full House where Uncle Jesse and Becky get married and the whole church sings this song? No? Me neither. I don't remember that silly show at all. :)

t2ed said...

I heard that same story but it was with Aukland and Oakland.

Oh, and he had a hook on his foot.