Friday, January 28, 2005

Previous Life of a Cat, the Power of the Evil Eye, Guardian Angel or Sheer Luck....

Maybe all of the above. It doesn’t matter. What does matter is that my Mother survived a very serious car accident. Since last Friday, it’s weird how the little things just don’t bother me nearly as much or if at all. Perspective is a very powerful thing.

Besides the 6 broken ribs my 78-year-old Mother suffered, she is faring quite well. She is recovering painfully and pretty bravely if you ask me. It really is a miracle. The whole incident could have ended in so many varying horrible ways. In fact as I write this I am sobbing uncontrollably. I didn’t cry when I got the phone call about the accident or when I got my hourly updates from the family. I was anxious and worried and all the other emotions you endure, crying just didn’t happen.

Unfortunately, my Mom is not a stranger to major car accidents. If I am not mistaken, she has taken a helicopter ride at least twice to Shock Trauma. I wonder if she has accumulated any frequent flier credits? My older sister and I believe that in a previous life she must have been a cat. Call it superstition or fear but we really don’t want to go back and actually count how many close calls she has had and what number remains.

Mom has decided to not drive anymore. I really can’t say that I blame her. It will be a huge adjustment for her to have to rely or ask someone else for a ride. Thankfully she has that choice to make. Like I mentioned above, we are quite grateful that she survived. The rest is gravy.

We will figure it out Mom. Get well soon!!!

4 comments:

HotForSimon said...

HUGS to mom!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry she was hurt. Hope she recovers well. *hug*

- Jo

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you and your Mom!!
Azalea

Wicked H said...

HFS, Jo and Azalea: Thank you for the well wishes. I did pass them along to my Mom. She is doing as well as can be expected for what she's been through.