Monday, November 22, 2004

Miscommunications

Otherwise known as Holiday gatherings for Family Wicked. This Thanksgiving will differ slightly from our norm. Who am I kidding? We don’t have a norm, it is part of our charm after all. But the difference this year will be the addition of Uncle Fun, my new brother-in-law, as well as my favorite Aunt and Uncle. Another seemingly major difference is the annoying habit that is being demonstrated by our parental units, more so this year than last. Of course if you ask Nutcracker Sweet, she will tell you that I am in denial and that it has been happening for quite some time. ( I keep urging her to get her own blog going…) What a surprise, I digressed.

So the annoying habit referred to above are miscommunications which lead to all sorts of oddities. You have to know that my folks are 78 years old. Personally I think that if you have lived that long you have the right to act odd. I mean think of all the headaches I alone have caused my parents. My Father will tell anyone who will listen, and the list is getting shorter and shorter, that I am the cause of all the gray hairs on his head. He is right, at least I didn’t cause his hair to fall out. There IS always a silver lining. Pun intended!!!

See, I come by this miscommunication thing honestly. I come from a long line of digressers. Anyway, the issue is this. My folks can’t seem to remember too many details of extended conversations anymore. This alone is driving us batty. I could go on endlessly but lucky for you I won’t. I will say that my older sister and I have divvied up the menu for Thanksgiving so as not to tax my Mom too much this year. So far, all my Mom is responsible for is the bird. Me and nutcracker Sweet will do the rest and bring it over to Mom & Dad’s house. Sounds simple enough. This morning my Mom called me at work to see how I was and to remind me that I didn’t check in over the weekend. More gray hairs!!! I asked what time dinner was on Thursday and she said she didn’t know. I asked if she could give me a ballpark figure. She said I don’t care, pick a time. I suggested that she confer with Dad, he is usually the picky one when it comes to the time of any meal. She said fine and hung up.

Hopefully she will remember to let me know…..

No comments: