Monday, September 06, 2004

Hey Batter, Batter

My parents have been happily married for 50 almost 51 years. Part of the secret to their success is their ability to bicker and forget. This is the way they get along. It is rare that they hold grudges towards each other. They are both equally intelligent; watching their mental sparring matches can be both amusing and frustrating. It really depends on the topic of discourse.

One evening, back when I was a teen, we had finished dinner and were going about our normal evening routine. True to form Mom and Dad were debating something, I wish I could remember the subject matter. In any case, my Mom was seated in her chair in the family room and Dad was pacing back and forth in front of her. My Father made his point and to extra drama he play acted kicking dirt onto home plate and walked calmly away. I was also in the family room reading.

When he was out of ear shot my Mother told me that she thought my Father had finally lost it. I, also true to form, was giggling. Mom, not being the baseball fan, asked me what that demonstration was? I explained to her what Dad was acting out as well what the reciprocal action should be. She gave no reaction and continued watching TV.

Dad returned an hour or so later. Mom cleverly brought the subject matter back to discussion. Dad fell for it and repeated his performance complete with dirt kicking. Mom then sprang to her feet, whipped out her imaginary mini broom, swept off home plate and sat back down.

That Christmas I bought them the Abbott and Costello “Whose on First?” video....

3 comments:

HotForSimon said...

key word there....having them TOGETHER....it's sad how rare that is today....sigh....

Wicked H said...

You 2 are right, I count my blessings every day. Then I keep telling myself that I need to visit more often, time is precious.

Anonymous said...

That was very funny!

-RP
randompensees.mu.nu